There's always more than one way to do something. Let's focus on the quickest and easiest.
Use your ⌘ command key to access all of your keyboard shortcuts.
⌘ command + space = Spotlight Search
- The single most useful Mac keyboard shortcut.
- If you forget where to go to find something on your Mac, you can search for it here.
- Search for any applications, files, system settings, websites, and more.
- Can also do a web search.
- Whether you're a computer wizard or a complete novice, there are countless every day uses for this one. Learn it, live it, love it.
⌘ command + A = Select All
⌘ command + C = Copy
⌘ command + X = Cut
⌘ command + V = Paste
⌘ command + S = Save
⌘ command + Z = Undo
⌘ command + Y = Redo
⌘ command + shift + 3 = Capture entire screen
- This will take a quick snapshot of your entire screen and save it to your desktop.
⌘ command + shift + 4 = Capture selected area
- This turns your cursor into crosshairs.
- Click, hold, and drag the crosshairs to create a rectange.
- Let go, and your Mac will save that rectangle portion as an image to your desktop.
⌘ command + shift + 5 = Capture or record
- This will open a control panel at the bottom of your screen.
- Click options to switch between screen capture and screen recording.
⌘ command + F = Find
- This opens a search bar at the top of your window.
- Type any text in the search bar and it will find that text on the current page.
⌘ command + M = Minimize
⌘ command + N = New window
⌘ command + T = New Tab
⌘ command + O = Open selected item(s)
⌘ command + Q = Quit
⌘ command + R = Reload page
⌘ command + +/- = Zoom in/Zoom out
⌘ command + D = Duplicate/Bookmark
- In finder, this will make a copy of a file.
- In Safari, this will make a bookmark of the current page you are on.
⌘ command + P = Print
⌘ command + control + F = Full screen
⌘ command + control + Q = Lock Screen
⌘ command + control + space = Emojis & symbols